Registration for the TOEFL iBT (Internet-Based Test)
There are four different ways to register for the TOEFL iBT test:
- Online registration
- For TOEFL iBT online registration you will need to acquire a TOEFL iBT Registration Bulletin. You can download it for free or order a printed copy of the TOEFL iBT registration bulletin.
- You can pay with the following credit/debit cards: VISA®, American Express®, MasterCard®, JCB® or Discover®, or by a registration voucher from a local TOEFL iBT Resource Centre. If you have a bank account in the USA, you can also use an electronic check as payment method.
- Registration by phone
- In the USA, USA territories and in Canada, call: 1-443-751-4862 or 1-800-468-6335. For other locations, check the TOEFL iBT registration for your local registration center.
- Payment methods are the same as for TOEFL iBT online registration.
- Registration by mail
- In order to register for the TOEFL iBT test by mail, you need to download a TOEFL registration form. Fill out the form and send it together with your payment to the address indicated on the form or to your local registration center.
- ETS must receive your form latest four weeks before your test date.
- If you don’t receive any confirmation, you need to call the location from where you sent your paperwork. You can do this until 3 business days prior to your registration deadline.
- Registration in person at a TOEFL iBT Test Resource Centre
In some areas it is possible to purchase vouchers for test registration with local currency and/or register in person at a TOEFL iBT Test Resource Centre.
Registration for the TOEFL PBT (Paper-Based Test)
The TOEFL® PBT is offered six times a year. You can obtain a TOEFL PBT Registration Bulletin locally or order a printed copy of the bulletin online (delivery outside of USA can take up to eight weeks).
There are two ways to register for the TOEFL PBT test:
If you have a VISA, American Express, JSB or Discover credit/debit card, you can register online here. Please check the TOEFL website to see if there are any payment method restrictions for your location.
Registration by mail
For this method of registration you need to complete and mail the TOEFL registration form with the appropriate fee to the address listed on the form.
It is not possible to register for the TOEFL PBT test by: phone, e-mail, fax or personal letter.
Important information about TOEFL registration:
- Be sure to register early: test centers fill up quickly.
- Walk-in registration at the TOEFL test center is not allowed.
- It is highly important that you spell your name exactly as it appears on the identification document you will bring with you on test day.
- You can register until 7 days before your test date.
- Late registration closes 3 days before your test date and has an additional fee of US$35.
- Once you have submitted your TOEFL registration form, it is NOT possible to cancel the registration or request a different test date. If you decide to not take the test, and do not wish to register for another test date, you may apply for a partial refund.
- When applying to a college or university, use the same name and spelling of your name on your application.
- The fee for the TOEFL iBT test depends on your test location and varies between $160 and $225. Taking the TOEFL PBT test costs $160.